I decided to just head home after work last night. It had been a rough day, I was tired, and I was hoping to get to bed early. I had planned an interval workout yesterday, then take today as a rest day, an easy run tomorrow, and then the Rahr Oktoberfest 5K on Saturday. Instead, I counted yesterday as a rest day, then got up and ran my interval workout before work this morning.Last week when I ran my interval workout I found myself feeling so strong by the end of the 5th fast interval, I just pushed straight through to the end of the workout without taking a rest interval. That kind of clued me in that maybe I better step up my paces.
So this morning I did just that. I ran 1/4 mile intervals for 3 miles. I increased my slow interval pace from 10:43 to 10:21, then I ran my first two fast intervals at a 9:05 pace, then the 3rd at 8:57, 4th at 8:49, 5th at 8:42, and last at 8:34. Overall average pace for the 3 miles was 9:37.
I didn't have the issue of feeling too strong at the end of my 5th interval this time. In fact I had push to make it through the 6th. Which is exactly what I was looking for.
Here's to getting stronger and faster.
What's your favorite interval workout?
Quarter miles/400 meters are my favorites, too. Long enough to make me work hard, but short enough that I can bribe myself with "this will be over soon!". I also like hill repeats as intervals: Find a nice long hill, preferably steep: Run strong and steady and fast-ish on the way up; then cruise easily back down. Repeat. Killer workout, short and sweet, but effective!
ReplyDeleteThanks to some long-distance training I've been doing for the last half a year, though - I've been neglecting my speedwork. After my goal race next weekend, I'm actually looking forward to (gasp, never thought I'd say that) getting back to the track - or at least to some off-track intervals. :)
Exactly right! Especially since at the faster paces they tick away so quickly, on the treadmill it feels like the first time I glance down I'm almost halfway through.
DeleteI know from reading about the Yasso method that I really should bump up to half mile intervals at some point, but for now 1/4 miles are really a lot of fun.
You're really burnin' it up with your running! I feel like you are progressing especially fast (in a good, safe, well managed kind of way) and see you as a great inspiration. I find that I've never been disciplined enough to add interval work to my workouts, but you are changing my mind and I think you've convinced me to give it a try. Also, so excited to hear about your race. Good luck!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm feeling really good lately. I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop, ha!
DeleteThanks for the well wishes, my race went very well this morning. Working on a write up now.
Oh my goodness Katie! You have to try intervals. I swear I felt a difference after just one workout. The treadmills at my gym have an interval button where you can set the speed for the fast and slow. Then you can switch between them with a push of a button. The other thing I love about them is how fast the miles go by!