Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hour to Hour

It's funny the ups and downs we experience just within a few hours.

Yesterday I ran a 5K in under 30 minutes for the first time.  3.13 miles in 30:00, a 9:35 pace.  It was a great feeling.

And hour and a half later I was reading a rejection letter from TCU's Nurse Anesthesia program. 

It's only been the focus of my life since August 2008.  So no, not really a big deal.

I don't know what else to say about that right now.

Back at work today feeling extremely trapped and demoralized.  This job is now a stepping stone to...well I don't know anymore.

Hope you're having a better day than me.

6 comments:

  1. Oh no. I'm sorry I waited until today to read this. I'm so sorry about the rejection. I can't say anything that will make it better, of course, but I do believe that things happen for a reason, even if we can't see the reason right away. So hang in there. Running is a great stress release (especially when you're crushing PRs left and right!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Megan. I'm still a bit numb I think. Having to immediately go back to work for 3 days has been both a curse and a blessing of sorts. It's been bad to have everything I was hoping to leave behind thrust in my face. But it's also afforded me some distraction. Work days are full--work, run, sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear this! Is it possible for you to reapply? Or to find out from your interviewer what you could do to make sure you DO get accepted next time? Keep your chin up! It ain't over yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The program starts only once a year, so it's the idea of another year waiting to reapply that seems insurmountable. I did immediately send an email to the director of the program asking how I might better my application.

      Not trying to sound conceited by any means, but after 5 years of focus, I really should have gotten in. My application was strong--my grades are excellent (magna cum laude grad from nursing school), my experience is solid (2 years at a Level I trauma teaching hospital CVICU recovering open heart surgeries, heart transplants and lung transplants, another 1.5 years at a smaller but busy regional ICU--only 1 year of ICU experience required,) strong GRE scores in the 95th percentile across the country. I truly did think I was going to get in, and there really isn't anything else I could have done to improve my application. That's part of the reason I'm reeling from this.

      Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to read this...rejection is never a good feeling, especially when it's something you've worked toward for a long time. But the good news is that the sting starts to fade after awhile, and sometimes (although you don't want to hear this now; feel free to virtually punch me, just don't break your computer screen) - it paves the way for new opportunities you'd not previously considered. Here's to the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost think this has been worse than the outright rejection. I've just had such a single-minded focus for so long, and now that I'm re-evaluating goals the idea that could conceivably go another direction (anythings possible) makes me feel a little lost.

      Delete