Friday, November 1, 2013

Calorie Anxiety

I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories every day.  Every single day, otherwise my calories get away from me.  It's a truly perfect tool for me.  I love that it scans bar codes and imports nutritional info.  I love completing my diary every day and getting the evaluation, "If every day were like today, in 5 weeks you would weigh Xlbs".  Talk about keeping your eyes on the long term. 

But something I've noticed is what can only be called "calorie anxiety" and I'm a little worried that it might be interfering with my health.

Essentially, calorie anxiety (as defined by me, and I'm making it up) is skimping on breakfast and lunch calories out of fear of running out of calories later in the day, and ending up hungry.

It tends to be my general MO.  I'll eat a packet of oatmeal for breakfast--130-160 calories.  And then for lunch I'll limit my calories to around 320-350 calories.  What this often means is I've only eaten 500ish calories by dinner time, and I end up eating the bulk of my daily calories in the evening between dinner and bedtime.

So far I've been extremely lucky that this practice hasn't sent me into starvation mode and I've continued to lose weight.  But it's something I continue to work on, with some success lately.  I've left my breakfast routine alone most days, although I've added a glass of juice before I leave on work days.  I had to do this because I've had days so busy that the first time I've thought about eating has been about 2 in the afternoon.  At least with the juice I've had a few calories.  Lunches I've allowed myself more calories--500-550.  Choosing wisely allows for a great deal more food than before. 

I've continued to lose weight, so I can only assume that it's at least as effective, and probably more.  I think it's probably a more healthy approach both metabolically and mentally.  At times I could see how people might end up with an eating disorder...

Overall it's a lot less anxiety.

How do you break down your calorie intake through the day?

12 comments:

  1. I suspect with your job, your schedule is busy and unpredictable. What about keeping some healthy, filling snack packs/snack options in your locker/desk/whatever, so that on days you are running 'low', you can sneak a few in without too much trouble? Juice is good, but can be calories without much "bulk", so it doesn't keep you full for long.

    I'm the opposite - I tend to front-load my calories: Breakfast, second breakfast, then eat lunch in 3 parts (working at home helps a LOT), and by the time dinner rolls around, I just need a bit of food. I guess I'm not much of an evening eater anyway. I suppose we need to average ourselves out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, there can be days where I have no time at all. Even to sneak a snack. My oatmeal takes all of 30 seconds to prepare, so it's not a prep time issue. Unfortunately on any given day, if I end up with a sick patient (or two) it requires 100% attention and focus with no potential for breaks, period. It is what it is, the nature of the beast.

      It's funny to me that we're so opposite!

      Delete
    2. That can definitely make fueling a challenging. I suppose it's frowned upon to keep packs of peanuts in your scrubs pocket. :)

      Delete
  2. I just ate an entire pan of brownies - at 10:30pm - so I'm not really one that needs to speak on this topic! :)

    I did, however, just read an article in Colorado Running Magazine (my name's in there, otherwise I wouldn't buy the thing - ha) about top loading your calories for the day and then tapering off. This does work better for me, but I'm not a meal planner and sometimes I work at night and it's hard.

    Woohoo on the continues weight loss!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "continued" (and whatever other typos I have above!)

      Delete


    2. I figured that front loading was probably better than the way I'm doing it, just not sure how to fix it. Oh well, we do the best we can with what we have!

      What do you do that you work nights? (Just curious if you're a fellow medical person.)

      Delete
    3. I do a lot of things, but one thing I do is coaching and I work from home a lot at night with that. Not a fellow medical peep, but I taught high school geology for a long period of time...I needed meds after that stint. :)

      How are you doing?

      Delete
    4. I'm doing well these days. Can't (shouldn't) complain.

      I still remember my geology teacher for undergrad. Every possible stereotype one could muster was embodied in that man.

      Delete
  3. You said it! Calorie counting is a major point of anxiety for me, and way back in the day did send me into eating disorder mode. I have found that reminding myself that food is fuel--not math--helps me to lower my anxiety levels. I have also been able to use mantras to deal with negative thoughts about food choices. (For example, "I don't eat cake" instead of "I can't eat cake." The first is empowering and the second sounds like a punishment). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. It's a subtle shift in thinking, but I can see the power.

      Hope you're doing well!!

      Delete
  4. I totally relate to this! Like you, I tend to backload my calories (I'm just naturally hungrier at night, for one, but the other part I do believe stems from old anxiety that I have to "save up" calories during the day). I definitely believe in "whatever works for you" but I think it's an interesting topic to discuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

      I think I have mostly healthy attitudes about food, but man can I see how people slip into eating disorders. The feeling of power derived from being in control of what goes into your mouth feels very addicting!

      Delete