It's so tough to get going again when you take a blog hiatus. Ideas form in the head, take shape into potential posts, and then the hurdle of restarting causes them to wither like fruit left on the vine too long.
There's the pressure to explain why it's been a month since your last post. There's the mild embarrassment that others have had to reach out to make sure you're doing OK, that nothing bad has happened.
Well, I had a little hiccup. I had a crazy work week, combined with exhaustion on my days off. And then I left town, and then crazy work schedule when I got back.
Oh, yeah, and that event that sent 5 years of work and focus down the drain--not getting into grad school. I'd like to think I took it all in stride, and certainly I didn't have a nervous break down--I kept getting up in the mornings, and going to work, and playing with my kids. But all that was habit if nothing else. Sticking to the routine was a way to avoid dealing with and feeling the loss of a dream. I was bobbing and weaving, my gloves were up, but I was against the ropes and more than a little punch drunk.
Through all of this, I did the worst thing I could have. I stopped running. And so, add the loss of my stress outlet to all of the above.
But I'm here now. I've been running regularly for almost 2 weeks back now, after a 2 week hiatus. It's always amazing how quickly things start to regress after a break. Especially when a new runner like I am. Something I'm glad didn't regress though, was my weight loss. I gained a couple pounds, but it was easy to get back on track.
The blog, apparently not so much.
Soon with new content.
Woo hoo! Glad to hear from you again. Plus, taking a break was possibly/probably a good thing to help you regroup, heal, build bone, etc. As far as the grad school thing goes, you don't get just one chance, right? Another year of experience under your belt will surely change those admissions officers' minds. Chin up!
ReplyDeleteYes! Building bone! That's the best excuse I've heard yet! I like it!
DeleteGrad school will happen at some point. But, the program I was hoping for at the school I was hoping for probably isn't going to happen. And that sucks a bit.
A months between blogs posts is status quo on my little blog. Then it takes me 60 hours to write it because I have lapsed so much time and too much to share (and I'm a wee-bit overly verbose :)).
ReplyDeleteOoo, I like that Katie...another year, it's only one. Fingers crossed.
Glad you're back to running ... it will help, even the emotionally sensitive people. Eventually, running becomes a "disease" (as my kids refer it to) and a nice long run with help satiate the day, even if it can't be "fixed".
I gained like 10 lbs after Leadville....I'm learning I can't eat an entire cake just because I went on a long run anymore now that I'm 50! :)
Glad you're back to the blogosphere and thanks for the emails!
Ha!
DeleteI love reading your epic posts!
Mmmm, cake.
Meh...no worries. Happens to everyone. Glad to see you're back on the wagon, though! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Coach. I know in the grand scheme two weeks is nothing. Sure didn't feel that way when I started back though. Now I can see the wisdom in a well timed break. I was improving very, probably too, quickly and I might be sporting an injury if I'd kept at it so hard. Without a break.
DeleteHey Robert! How about coming back again? We miss you! I have to admit that it must have been around the time that you posted these three posts in a row when I switched over blog readers, and I honestly thought the "3" was from posts I had already read! I can't believe I missed these, and now you're on another hiatus! Besides our mini-Instagram chats, I'd love to hear how you're doing!
ReplyDeleteHiya Megan, so I'm Back Again...
Delete