I had to work the last three days, so I've been away from the gym.
I'm an ICU nurse, and that means working 12 hour shifts. I know that everyone struggles with the same issue of trying to fit their runs into their busy lives; it's probably one the top "excuses" out there. But for me, running after work means making a conscious choice to not see my children that day. I leave before they get up, and if I run, they are in bed by the time I get home--especially as we taper summer bedtimes down in preparation for school coming up.
For my first 2 work days this week, I chose to come home. On my 3rd day though, I chose the gym since I'll be spending the rest of the week with the kids.
But I will tell you, throughout all three days I found myself looking forward to my run. In fact, I lusted after it. I noticed I was crabby on the first two days of work, and looking back I wonder if it was because I wasn't going to the gym? Could 5 weeks of running leave me that addicted?
Either way, by the end of my (very busy) shift yesterday, I was fit to be tied to get off the unit, and to the gym. I was a little worried that I might have built things up too much, and sent my wife a text: "I sure hope this run goes well since I've been looking forward to it for 3 days!"
Once I got on the treadmill (towel safely tucked into the cup-holder this time) and started running, I felt the tiredness in my legs and feet melting away into warm fuzziness.
It felt so good.
And I couldn't help but smile.
I was only jogging along at my base 5 mph, and I could tell--I kept bumping against the treadmill rail. I made the decision to stay at that pace because I wanted this to be a longer run, and I didn't want to burn myself out too quickly.
Anyway, I ended up running a full 5K, which is a good half mile further than I've run continuously to date.
I know that on the spectrum of runners and runs floating out here on the blogosphere, it's an insignificant distance and pace. And I feel a little silly trumpeting it as an accomplishment here on my blog. But it was another small victory for me, and I plan to use this "mile"stone as a "stepping" stone to greater times and distances.
Do you remember your first 5K experience?
Woo hoo! Congratulations on your run! You have every right to trumpet your success into the stratosphere because I would bet that most people in the world (and especially in the U.S.) COULD NOT run a 5k after working a shift of your job. It's a huge accomplishment and I applaud it.
ReplyDeleteAs for my first 5k? I don't remember the first time I ran the distance, but my first 5k race sticks out in my mind because a 7 year old girl went FLYING by me at about mile 2. I still won a trophy :) Yay for being the only racer in your age group!
Keep going because you're doing awesome!
Thank you for the support!
ReplyDeleteI'll admit I giggled when I read about your 7 y/o nemesis. Sounds like a fun race!